Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Book Club?

I have considered joining the book club held by the law wives, but I'm just not sure if I'm up for reading heavy books (both subject matter and length). I'm so thoroughly enjoying the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series by Ann Brashares (devouring the third one now), that I'm beginning to think I would derive more enjoyment out of "fluff" books throughout my life than from deep novels. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed almost every Oprah book I ever picked up, but they are usually very heavy and not always what I'm up for at the end of a long tiresome day. The Sisterhood books are great, even if they are about teenagers, and they include great quotes like this one:

You can see only as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.
--E. L. Doctorow

If the book club would read something fun like Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg (one of my all-time favorites...laugh out loud funny!), then I'd be all for joining up for some womany fellowship. It might do me good to have an adult conversation about something other than Ava or scrapbooking. In the meantime, I'll just keep right on devouring the Sisterhood books as long as Ms. Brashares is willing to churn them out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home