Friday, March 09, 2007

Thank God for miracles & happy endings

Yesterday we went to retrieve our belongings from our car. It was an eerie sight to behold. I was carried away from from this car not so long ago. It doesn't look like the kind of thing the front passenger would have walked away from with scratches. The wrecker told us that in his experience (of many years), he has never towed a badly wrecked Saturn of any variety that ended in fatality or even critical injury but that the equivalent wreckage of other car types often did. I believe his words were something like, "I don't know what it is about 'em, but Saturns are tough, and that's what I'd recommend people buy if they want to be safe in a crash." I'll be shopping for another Saturn as soon as possible.



That part in the foreground was some part of our car that had been put into the back seat for transport. The front license plate on its caddy was also stowed in there, along with the casing for a side mirror and plenty of other car parts and pieces of fiberglass.

So let's take a walk around the car...


It was worse than I thought it would be. The driver side was far more compromised than I realized. Look at the slash marks where the earth was scraping the car as it rolled. Yeesh! Gives me heebie-jeebies just thinking about it.


Can you believe that this is the extent of our family's collected injuries? (It looks nastier in person, but still!) My head has a few glass scrapes, and I got an unfortunately weird haircut from the flying glass, presumably while my hair was hanging upside down during mid-roll. That can be easily remedied! Oh, and there's a tender area of my spine, and my neck was a lot stiff at first, but even those problems are tons better only two days later (thanks to chiropractic care). I have pain worse than this half the time as it is, just from my mild scoliosis. My range of motion is pretty good today!

That first night as I changed my bandages for the first time, I realized that this was it. This was the most our family was injured. My hand is scratched. Scratches! That's it! And then the crying started. I could be dead. Ava could have no mother. Ava could be dead, and I would suddenly have no children. Britt could be dead, and I would be lost in a sea of confusion as to how we would make it in the world without him. Ava could have been orphaned that night. Any number of horrible things could have been, and they all came pouring out of me in tears. All we got were scratches and back pain. I felt so blessed, so undeserving of God's mercy, and so grateful for our lives.


Yesterday afternoon, Ava came to tell me all about the happy ending on Cyberchase. She said, "I like happy endings, Mommy." Me too, Ava. Me too.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I don't know what I would do without any of you. I thank God for keeping you all safe! (And I hope this doesn't discourage you from visiting Erik and me in the future!) Much love to you.

3/10/2007 11:45 AM  
Blogger Lainey-Paney said...

Okay, I cried when I read the last post, and now I'm tearing up reading this one.

You guys are just so blessed to still be here!

And because of your story...I'm sooooo going to pay attention to the way we pack the car. We may not be able to avoid a car collision, or any type of rollover incident....but I think about my own book bag in the back...those books could go flying every which way, and hit my child!

Aauaujaaghghghg!
I'm just so glad y'all are okay!

...oh, and I think I have that same brown coat you're wearing in the picture.
(how's that for ending on a less-intense note??)

3/12/2007 10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home