Thursday, June 17, 2004

Insect of the Day: Mutant Mosquitoes

Well, the bug man came today to spray for fleas. (Yes, fleas even though we own no pets. Right when we are packing to move. How frustrating.) That meant picking up every item we own that is on the carpet, which is a lot of stuff. I'll have to be cautious about Ava making contact with the poisoned carpet now. So it's a really good thing she doesn't crawl. Maybe the fleas will die and get sucked up by the vacuum cleaner very soon so that I can get back to packing. Hope so. The new problem is the HUGE mosquitoes in our house!! We had the door open for a while today while the bug man was spraying (long story), so I guess a few got in the house. I never even thought about that. These are bizarrely large mutant mosquitoes! I have never seen them so big!!! When we came home earlier, britt freaked out by the front door and said he thought there was a bee...Get the fly swatter! I thought, Oh my gosh we can't have a bee on the loose in here with Ava unattended all night. I won't sleep a wink. Well, it turned out the "bee" was actually an enormous mosquito! A mosquito the size of a bee! That freaks me out. I mean, maybe those are the rare mosquitoes carrying the West Nile virus and the reason no one gets that around here is b/c the mondo variety of mosquitoes are so rare! And apparently all in my front yard! Another one attacked while I was feeding Ava, and it totally freaked me out. I mean it was LOUDLY buzzing around me, and kind of charging me. So I'm desperately trying to protect my daughter and myself, yelling for Britt (who was on the phone) to get the swatter so i could keep track of the bug. It got away, so naturally I was possessed until it reemerged and we beat it to death. Now I'm afraid there may be others lurking about. Oh my. Always something new and unusual to keep my mind occupied.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home