Sunday, September 25, 2005

Show Opener Junkie Speaks

What is it with TV executives and the need to mess up a perfectly fantastic simple show opener after season one is successful!? I am a big fan of creative show openers. A show wins HUGE points with me just by having a great intro. Catchy music, maybe clever lyrics, good graphics or choice of show snippets. I realize they probably give new shows (especially mid-season replacements) a short, simple opener because they don't want to spend money on a show that might not take off. But sometimes the simple ones are the most well-crafted of all. I HATE IT when they up and change a GREAT show opener for a new season. That drives me crazy! You know as well as I do that Friends would never have been quite the same if one season they had decided not to try putting a show snippet in to match the multi-clap section of the theme song. One of my longstanding gripes is the changed theme song since season two of King of Queens. That's a great show, but it lost a little appeal for me after they created that dorky theme song with the cheesy lyrics and staged acting to match. It was so much better when it was short and simple, catchy music with the logo on the screen for a few seconds. Perfect. And then they up and change it the next season! I have been complaining about that for, gosh, how many seasons now...five? six? Anyway, now they've done it to Grey's Anatomy. I couldn't believe it. After all the work ABC has done to up its ante (and successfully, I might add), what on earth made them decide to change the Grey's Anatomy opener!!? It was exquisite just the way it was during season one! I was so looking forward to it after I breathed a sigh of relief that they hadn't messed around with the Desperate Housewives opener. And then, to my shock and amazement, they hardly had any opener at all!!!! A little background music at the end of the first scene, flash the show name, go to commercial. What is that!? They better not be working on some new ER-style medical drama opener. That would be missing the subtlety of the show's uniqueness entirely. Guess I'll have to wait until next week to find out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home